Friday 20 July 2012

Adventure Interruptus

Some adventures take months of planning and others just seem to appear out of nowhere and surprise us.

Being a self confessed slight 'control freak' there's no guessing which type of adventure I prefer! Marty, on the other hand, being much more laid back (and can I say mildly disorganised in general), quite enjoys having his otherwise perfectly planned day turn completely upside down.

We had one of those little 'surprise adventures' the other day. The last few Wednesdays Marty has managed to take the afternoon off work in an attempt to provide me with a much needed midweek break. We usually head out to explore some local mountain bike trails, but this week we decided to take the  kids on an off road run through Morton National Park. There is a 10km Fun Run coming up and I thought it would be a good chance to get a bit of training in.....I love it when Marty's there to push the Chariot.

All was well.....until 1km into our run, when our nice smooth walking trail turned quite suddenly into a steep, rocky, rough track and started heading into what appeared to be a small gorge. We continued on; I was determined to get some training in and somehow I convinced Marty that the trail would return to normal just around that next corner. Many corners later, and well after the point of no return, I realised that my planned run had turned into an extremely slow plod, precariously lifting what now seemed like a very heavy wheelbarrow with two kids in it, over mossy boulders and small creeks.

Marty says a fun family adventure...... I say an inconvenient interruption to my well thought out training plan!

The Point of No Return

No comments:

Post a Comment